Day 11 - 30 poems in 30 days


Day 11 - prompt (optional, as always) from NaPoWriMo - Poets have been writing about love and wine, wine and love, since . . . well, since the time of Anacreon, a Greek poet who was rather partial to that subject matter. Anacreon developed a particular meter for his tipsy, lovey-dovey verse, but Anacreontics in English generally do away with meter-based constraints. Anacreontics might be described as a sort of high-falutin’ drinking song. So today I challenge you to write about wine-and-love. Of course, you may have no love of wine yourself, in which case you might try an anti-Anacreontic poem.

 
The Shiraz of Love

There is something about shiraz-merlot.
Its bottle, tall and dark, waits – beckons
like a lover, years ago young,
years ago gone.

Sweet – vital as the just ripe pear or peach
that hangs, a foot
above my fingertips.

But this – this tumbles easy
into the wide-brimmed goblet,
dances in candlelight.
Passion’s red kiss anoints my lips.

A promise fulfilled,
on my terms, my time
with a price I can now afford pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment