Day 24 - 30 Poems in 30 Days

The optional prompt was to write a poem that features walls, bricks, stones, arches, or the like.  I only have one wall but it’s the content that matters:

Souls of April

I heard a single morning bird
Just before 5 a.m.  So bright,
un-shy to be the first to greet
the wall of another April day.

I’d spent the night in my day clothes
deep in the sweet bed of fiction.
Both found and lost as a 12 year old
in their last summer of mystery.

I’ll drive 300 miles today as another writer’s
language bounces inside my metal carriage,
rings my ears with sweet description,
places I have known or dreamed about.

At 5:30 a few more birds joined the chorus
and by 6:00 the air was full with songs
no cage or prison cell could restrict.
Oh, what luxury this life has given now.

No comments:

Post a Comment