There Were No Circus Tickets

There Were No Circus Tickets

when I was a child.
Poor is what my neighbors were.
I thought everyone lived this way.
Christmas 1953 we got a television
but my younger sister was so sick she
wouldn’t even get up to watch or open her presents.
Later I watched the circus from
the box in the living room
and began to dream.

My father never denied us what was free
or that he could make.
Soon, a swing set sprang into the back yard
made from discarded pipe he painted green
complete with a hanging bar from smaller pipe.
I became a traipse artist
hanging first from knees,
then ankles
and soon from just one ankle –

Oh, I was glorious swinging
one foot wrapped around the chain.
I was performing, the trees applauded
and the chickens sang.
Elephants and the exotic animals
from “Jungle Boy” on Saturday morning TV
all paraded through our yard
as I would swing-sway, then
tight-rope across the top pipe.

There was no stopping me
in my own amazing circus
as I wrapped myself in cotton shorts –
a daisy chain halo circling my hair.
Singing calliope music in my mind.
I even perfected the bicycle - first with no hands
later I could stand on the seat my arms outstretched and free
no small task on a country rock based road.
It was the best free circus anyone ever saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment