Life Song

NaPoWiMo Day 10 - Write a mirror poem. Find or think of a poem you admire, and write a poem that is a “mirror-image” of it. You can make this mirroring quite general, or very specific.
I used the poem "Night Song" by Lisel Mueller.  I actually did this poem after a writing workshop on Thursday, April 7, 2011, so I guess I get off a little easy today and can have more time to work on yesterday's prompt!


Life Song

Among stones, I am quarried catlinite,
among arrows, I am the rooted one growing by the river,
among daughters, I am the eldest, the strong example,
among sons, I am the one gone to war too young.

Among stories, I am never finished,
among lovers, I am the secret face,
among scars, I am the forceps on the forehead,
among confetti, I am always falling.

Among socks, I am mismatched cotton,
among days, I favor Fridays and foggy ones,
among bones, I am the old one
carried home for scrimshaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment